South Dormitory, also called Girl's Dormitory, was the only dormitory for women. The three-story, brick building was furnished by the citizens of Commerce after construction was completed. The devastating 1911 fire began in a flue in South Dormitory before spreading north. Most of the male students living in the First Dormitory and North Dormitory were able to rescue their belongings before the fire spread. The female students residing in South Dormitory were not so lucky. By the time the fire was discovered, the building was fully engulfed in flames. South Dormitory was located south of the First Dormitory along Campbell Street on the western edge of campus. South Dormitory faced the back of College Hall, and later, Old Main.