According to campus legend, President Mayo, while looking out the windows in his office, pointed to a black locust thicket near Old Main and remarked that he would like the spot to be his final resting place. President Mayo died unexpectedly on March 14, 1917. His wish to be buried on campus was honored and on March 19 he was interred at the site. After President Mayo's death, the W.L. Mayo Memorial Association formed to raise money for a marker at the site. In 1926, the granite stone currently marking his gravesite was added. The Mayo Gravesite is located on the northeast corner of campus where Mayo Street meets Lee Street. The Mayo Memorial Service is held annually at the site during Homecoming to honor President Mayo's legacy.