Originally named Willard Hall by Etta Mayo after her friend and temperance leader, Frances Willard, Willard Hall was a three-story dormitory for women. Once the state took over the college in 1917, Willard Hall was closed. It was later renamed Industrial Hall and remodeled for academic use in 1920. The building was converted from three stories to two, and housed the library, faculty offices, classrooms, and laboratories. Towards the end of its life, Industrial Hall had the unfortunate reputation of swaying slightly in heavy winds. The building was closed in 1938 and sat vacant for two years prior to demolition. Willard Hall was built on Lee Street between Campbell and Mayo. The front of the dormitory faced south.