College Hall, the first building to be constructed on the present-day campus, included a bell tower, six classrooms, two offices, a library, and an auditorium. Renovations began on the building in 1905, using funds donated by the citizens of Commerce. A brick façade was added to the original wooden structure. The building was destroyed by fire in 1907. The destruction of College Hall meant that campus lost classroom space, laboratory equipment, library books, and institutional records. Instructional space was temporarily allocated in the dormitories. College Hall was located near the present-day Mayo Memorial Monument. While many accounts describe the building as facing north towards Lee Street, Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps from the time consistently depict the building facing Monroe Street.