Modern accounts refer to the First Dormitory as both "Men's Dormitory" and "Girl's Dormitory." Since this was the only dormitory for several years, it likely housed both male and female students until the construction of a women's dormitory in 1904. Originally a two-story wooden building, a third floor and three-story addition were later added. A brick facade and large dining hall and kitchen addition were added circa 1910. A fire started in South dormitory on the morning of January 7, 1911, which quickly engulfed all three dormitories. Luckily, all students were in Chapel Hour, and no one was injured. The first dormitory stood at the southeast corner of Lee and Campbell Streets. During the early years of the college, Campbell Street continued through campus, intersecting Greenville and Stonewall Streets. At some point between 1911 and 1922, Campbell Street was closed off between Lee and Stonewall.