East Texas State Teachers College in World War II
When the United States joined the fight during World War II, there was an increased need to facilitate training for the war effort. To remedy this, the federal government implemented programs that utilized college campuses for military training. East Texas State Teachers College (ETSTC) was among these campuses, making use of the facilities for programs such as the Army Specialized Training Program (ASTP) and the Woman’s Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC, later renamed the Women’s Army Corps (WAC)).
Facing a shortage of men with the desired professional and technical training for the war effort, the Army created a program to meet the demands of wartime. Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson, in February of 1942, approved the establishment of the Army Specialized Training Program. The ASTP decided eligibility, regardless of race, based on scores on the Army General Classification Test (AGCT), becoming the largest single college training program this country ever enacted.
The Women’s Army Corps, branch No. 5. ETSTC opened their WAC school on March 13, 1943, for military training. Lt. Col. Ronald E. Doan was the commanding officer at ETSTC for the WACs. These women were trained in personal management, business management, and record management and keeping.